Saturday, July 2, 2016

Getting Loaded

One of my many jobs while putting myself through school (Georgia State) and helping support my young family was working at the Atlanta bus station as a baggage handler. I liked the checking in of customer bags and loading them on the correct bus. But every so often I had to open unclaimed suitcases to see if I could find identifying information.


I found bus riders, at least at that time, to be a fairly unhygienic bunch. It was as if some folk decided to load a suitcase with their unwanted junk including unwashed clothes and leave it all behind as someone else's responsibility. Maybe they started afresh, which is more than I can say for their gifts to Atlanta Baggage Claim. It was this part of the job that prompted me to resign and get a job loading semi trailers.


It was strong good work. I remember coming home so tired and dirty (2 a.m.) that I would run a hot bath, fall asleep in it, and wake up to the stimulus of the cooling water. 


Before long, I accepted a job driving a cookie truck and unloading its contents at various warehouse sites in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina. I kept attending college at night, steadily working toward an undergraduate degree in psychology. Loading up with info at night, unloading cookies during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment